Siemens – Siemens acquires Insight EDA to expand Calibre integrated circuit reliability verification offering
Acquisition enables customers to more easily add design-specific reliability verification and analysis to integrated circuit (IC) design flows
Siemens Digital Industries Software announced today that it has completed the acquisition of Insight EDA Inc., an EDA software company delivering groundbreaking circuit reliability solutions to many of the world’s leading integrated circuit (IC) design teams.
Insight EDA’s technology identifies and helps address design specific potential circuit reliability failure areas, bolstering the confidence of design engineers in achieving first-pass silicon success. Circuit reliability is a fast-growing market for IC design and Siemens’ Calibre® PERC™ software is a market leader for manufacturing reliability sign-off software delivering new checking functionalities previously unattainable with traditional verification tools.
Insight EDA has been a pioneer in the use of EDA automation to address design specific circuit reliability, bringing in new and more efficient circuit reliability analysis use models to the industry. The addition of the Insight EDA technology to Siemens’ Calibre PERC product portfolio is anticipated to empower chip designers with an end-to-end circuit reliability solution.
“The acquisition of Insight EDA accelerates our circuit reliability verification roadmap and underscores Siemens’ continued commitment to delivering world-class EDA solutions” said Michael Garcia-Buehler, vice president, product management, Calibre Design Solutions, Siemens Digital Industries Software. “The addition of Insight EDA to Siemens’ Calibre PERC product line further enables design engineers to create design specific reliability checks and analysis.”
Insight EDA was formed in 2008, and since that time has served a worldwide customer base with analog / mixed signal and transistor level custom digital design flows. Terms of the transaction, which closed on November 1, 2023, were not disclosed.
To learn more about Siemens’ Calibre portfolio and what the acquisition of Insight EDA means for Siemens’ IC design customers, visit: https://eda.sw.siemens.com/en-US/ic/calibre-design/reliability-verification/
More information on Siemens: See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Dr. Roland Busch (President and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens AG): See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Siemens Digital Industries (DI): See full profile on EMR Executive Services + https://new.siemens.com/global/en/company/about/businesses/digital-industries.html + Siemens Digital Industries (DI) is an innovation leader in automation and digitalization. Closely collaborating with partners and customers, DI drives the digital transformation in the process and discrete industries. With its Digital Enterprise portfolio, DI provides companies of all sizes with an end-to-end set of products, solutions and services to integrate and digitalize the entire value chain. Optimized for the specific needs of each industry, DI’s unique portfolio supports customers to achieve greater productivity and flexibility. DI is constantly adding innovations to its portfolio to integrate cutting-edge future technologies. Siemens Digital Industries has its global headquarters in Nuremberg, Germany, and has around 76,000 employees internationally.
More information on Cedrik Neike (Member of the Managing Board and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens Digital Industries, Siemens AG): See full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Siemens Digital Industries Software: https://www.sw.siemens.com/en-US/ + It is driving transformation to enable a digital enterprise where engineering, manufacturing and electronics design meet tomorrow. Our solutions help companies of all sizes create and leverage digital twins that provide organizations with new insights, opportunities and levels of automation to drive innovation.
Siemens Digital Industries Software and Siemens Xcelerator are transforming the everyday by giving companies like yours the agility, flexibility and adaptability to turn ideas into innovation with greater efficiency and speed.
More information on Tony Hemmelgarn (President and Chief Executive Officer, Siemens Digital Industries Software, Siemens AG): See full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Michael Garcia-Buehler (Vice President, Product Management, Calibre Design Solutions, Siemens Digital Industries Software, Siemens AG): See full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Calibre® PERC™ by Siemens: https://eda.sw.siemens.com/en-US/ic/calibre-design/reliability-verification/perc/ + The Calibre PERC platform is the industry leader for reliability verification solutions, enabling a vast range of IC circuit reliability checks that are not possible with traditional physical verification tools.
The Calibre PERC reliability platform automatically combines netlist and layout information to perform targeted electrical checks that consider the context of the design intent for both layout-related and circuit-dependent checks.
More information on Insight EDA Inc. by Siemens: https://insighteda.com/ + Integrating circuit cores together in one chip exposes risks that can fly below the radar of conventional checking methods. After individual cores have been exhaustively simulated, there’s still the question of reliability. This is an especially important topic in today’s design flows for mixed power and low power.
Checking circuit reliability doesn’t have to be difficult. A circuit engineer should be able to bring up a tool, with minimal setup, and get clear results. Tweak the circuit, fix an issue, and submit the updates. – All without waiting on the CAD team for help.
And simple to use doesn’t mean simple minded. Checks must be smart enough to know about the ins and outs of real world circuits, automatically. Like novel level shifter topologies, ad-hoc domain isolation, safe vs unsafe power states, and other unexpected situations.
EMR Additional Notes:
- Integrated Circuit (IC):
- An integrated circuit (also known as an IC, a chip, or a microchip) is an assembly of electronic components in which hundreds to millions of transistors, resistors, and capacitors are interconnected and built up on a thin substrate of semiconductor material (usually silicon) to form a small chip or wafer.
- Integrated Circuit (IC) Design:
- Integrated circuit (IC) design is a process of interconnecting circuit elements to perform a specific desired function. Nearly every electronic device you use is made of ICs.
- EDA (Electronic Design Automation):
- Electronic Design Automation (EDA) is a specific category of hardware, software, services and processes that use computer-aided design to develop complex electronic systems like printed circuit boards, integrated circuits and microprocessors.
- Electronic Design Automation, or EDA, is a market segment consisting of software, hardware, and services with the collective goal of assisting in the definition, planning, design, implementation, verification, and subsequent manufacturing of semiconductor devices, or chips. Regarding the manufacturing of these devices, the primary providers of this service are semiconductor foundries, or fabs. These highly complex and costly facilities are either owned and operated by large, vertically integrated semiconductor companies or operated as independent, “pure-play” manufacturing service providers. This latter category has become the dominate business model.
- EDA tools play a critical role in semiconductor chip manufacturing for the following reasons: They’re used to vet semiconductor manufacturing processes to ensure they deliver the required performance and density. This part of EDA is called technology computer-aided design (TCAD).