Hager – Is it possible to build a truly zero-carbon community?
A collective effort to create a sustainable city
When you think of the Middle East and energy consumption, you could be forgiven for assuming that it’s all about oil and gas. Director of Future Energy Solutions for International Projects within Group Strategy, Torsten Hager and Heba Gebreel Georges, Future Application Catalyst know all about a collective effort to create a sustainable city that turns this assumption on its head.
Hager Group in the Middle East is one of the most important players in the Sharjah Sustainable City project; Sharjah is one of the seven Emirates which make up the United Arab Emirates (UAE). This sustainable city, once created, will consist of 1,120 villas fully supplied with renewable energy from the sun. It will be the first fully-integrated and net zero energy community in the Middle East. Clearly getting enough sunlight to produce PV energy is not an issue in the UAE.
However, for the Sustainable City of Sharjah a particular specification is that any surplus solar energy created cannot be fed back into the national grid. This constraint was part of the deal and the ambitious climate goals set by the Sharjah Investment and Development Agency (Shurooq). As the Sharjah Sustainable City must generate only to its requirements, storage solutions therefore need to be integrated. Diamond Developers, founded by a team of visionary entrepreneurs architects and engineers, are the pioneers of the world’s first sustainable community in Dubai – The Sustainable City. Boosted by the success of this first project, they were looking for partners for their next one – Sharjah Sustainable City.
To know more about Sharjah Sustainable City and who Heba and Torsten are, click here.
More information on Hager: See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Daniel Hager (CEO, Hager Group): See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Torsten Hager (Director of Future Energy Solutions for International Projects within Group Strategy, Hager Group): See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on Heba Gebreel Georges (Future Application Catalyst, Hager Group): See the full profile on EMR Executive Services
More information on the Sharjah Sustainable City Project: https://www.sharjahsustainablecity.ae/ + Sharjah Sustainable City is the first fully-integrated and Net Zero Energy community in the Emirate of Sharjah.
The city is powered by renewable energy, recycling 100% of water and waste, cultivating vegetables and leafy greens on site, and designed to encourage walkability and the use of clean mobility.
Sharjah Investment and Development Authority (Shurooq) and Diamond Developers have joined forces to develop a world-class mixed use project that meets the highest standards of social, environmental, and economic sustainability.
This project is designed to improve the quality of life for residents without compromising the needs of future generations, as well as presenting opportunities for research, learning and inspiring how we can minimise our carbon footprint.
The momentous mixed-use project pursues the goal of creating another world-class, sustainable, and happy community in the Middle East and North Africa. We have cultivated an exceptional and sustainable society that provides the highest standards of living without harming the Earth’s resources.
More information on Yousif Ahmed Al-Mutawa (Chief Executive Officer, The Sharjah Sustainable City Project): https://www.sharjahsustainablecity.ae/about-sharjah-sustainable-city/ + https://www.linkedin.com/in/yousif-almutawa-75128822/
More information on the Sharjah Investment and Development Agency (Shurooq): https://shurooq.gov.ae/ + Shurooq is the driving force behind the transformation of Sharjah. Guided by our traditions and inspired by innovation, we are committed to enhancing Sharjah’s appeal as an investment, tourism, and business destination. An independent government entity, we facilitate partnerships and connect investors, corporations, and entrepreneurs with the right opportunities
Shurooq is committed to enhance Sharjah’s appeal as an investment culture capital. Shurooq connects investors, corporations, and entrepreneurs with the right opportunities. Moreover, the authority is committed to ensure continuous growth of Sharjah’s image and forward strategic thinking in areas that cover Profit, Place-making, Process, People and Partnership.
More information on Net Zero: https://www.iea.org/reports/net-zero-by-2050 + The number of countries announcing pledges to achieve net zero emissions over the coming decades continues to grow. But the pledges by governments to date – even if fully achieved – fall well short of what is required to bring global energy-related carbon dioxide emissions to net zero by 2050 and give the world an even chance of limiting the global temperature rise to 1.5 °C. This special report is the world’s first comprehensive study of how to transition to a net zero energy system by 2050 while ensuring stable and affordable energy supplies, providing universal energy access, and enabling robust economic growth. It sets out a cost-effective and economically productive pathway, resulting in a clean, dynamic and resilient energy economy dominated by renewables like solar and wind instead of fossil fuels. The report also examines key uncertainties, such as the roles of bioenergy, carbon capture and behavioral changes in reaching net zero.
EMR Additional Notes:
- Grid, Microgrids and DERs:
- The power grid is a network for delivering electricity to consumers. The power grid includes generator stations, transmission lines and towers, and individual consumer distribution lines.
- The grid constantly balances the supply and demand for the energy that powers everything from industry to household appliances.
- Electric grids perform three major functions: power generation, transmission, and distribution.
- A microgrid is a small-scale power grid that can operate independently or collaboratively with other small power grids. The practice of using microgrids is known as distributed, dispersed, decentralized, district or embedded energy production.
- Smart Grid is any electrical grid + IT at all levels . Micro Grid is a group of interconnected loads and DERs (Distributed energy resources) within a clearly defined electrical and geographical boundaries witch acts as a single controllable entity with respect to the main grid.
- Distributed energy resources (DERs) are small-scale electricity supply (typically in the range of 3 kW to 50 MW) or demand resources that are interconnected to the electric grid. They are power generation resources and are usually located close to load centers, and can be used individually or in aggregate to provide value to the grid.
- Common examples of DERs include rooftop solar PV units, natural gas turbines, microturbines, wind turbines, biomass generators, fuel cells, tri-generation units, battery storage, electric vehicles (EV) and EV chargers, and demand response applications.
- Carbon Dioxide (CO2):
- Primary greenhouse gas emitted through human activities. Carbon dioxide enters the atmosphere through burning fossil fuels (coal, natural gas, and oil), solid waste, trees and other biological materials, and also as a result of certain chemical reactions (e.g., manufacture of cement). Carbon dioxide is removed from the atmosphere (or “sequestered”) when it is absorbed by plants as part of the biological carbon cycle.
- Reduction of carbon dioxide emissions through the use of low carbon power sources, achieving a lower output of greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere.